market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Undercutting prices

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Undercutting prices
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 17:29:03 -0400

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 12:43:52 -0600, you wrote:

>Ditto on hurting everyone in the end. Besides the ethical part, when some
>vendors are driven out it cuts down on the variety and volume of produce
>that people come to find, and that in turn cuts down on the overall number
>of people coming to buy.

All of which is true. And I personally wouldn't undersell.

But - it was my impression that in a society of largely
unregulated capitalism such as ours - that it's everyone's
right (by law) to sell whatever they like for whatever price
they wish to charge.

Used books are a good example of this. We wanted to sell
used books for one reason only: to make a few honest
dollars. There's no way you can do it: too many people are
selling them for pennies just because (I think) they don't
like to throw away a book but they want to get rid of the
books.

But OK: that's their right, by law, no?

Pat
--
Coming soon: www.containerseeds.com - vegetable, herb,
and edible flower seeds especially selected for successful