market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Carrot Rust Fly

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Carrot Rust Fly
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 10:35:05 -0400

You are refering to the carrot maggot. We get them around here starting around
the first week of May depending on the weather. They attack overwintered
parsley which is a big crop in South Jersey. Very hard to control, one of the
reasons we try to keep Guthion registered by the EPA is because its the only
pesticide that will control the maggot. I guess if you only have a few plants
the organic control is the old standby "wood ash"... Bob.