market-farming - [Market-farming] Carrot Rust Fly

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: pam AT twinoaks.org
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Carrot Rust Fly
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 19:39:21 -0400

Can anyone tell me which months the Carrot Rust Fly (the one that
tunnels in the roots) is out and about and when it isn't? We are busy
thinning our winter storage carrots, and we faithfully remove all the
carrot thinnings from the patch so the fly doesn't get attracted in. If I
knew more about the lifecycle of this pest, maybe at some times of
year I could let thinnings lie in the patch. This is zone 6b, central
Virginia.
Thanks for any leads on this,
Pam, Twin Oaks, Louisa, VA