market-farming - [Market-farming] Holes in Beans

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Matt Cheselka <cheselka AT theriver.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Holes in Beans
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 13:38:26 -0700 (MST)

A friend of mine is growing green beans, and is having a problem with some
little critter boring holes in many of the pods. She's tried home-made
insecticidal soap (water + soap + cayanne) without success. I was hoping
to find a critter "in the act", but couldn't. Any ideas what this trouble
maker might be -- and what to do about it?

Much Thanks!

BTW -- our new Farmers' Market is starting this Saturday. Most likely
it'll only be me and one other person, but it's a start. We've gotten
good local press coverage, but the response in terms of vendors has been
nearly zero. The theory is that people are in a "wait and see" mode
before they take the plunge. I'm taking pictures and will post them for
y'all to see.

Happy Growin'!

Matt Cheselka
Cosmic Lettuce