market-farming - [Market-farming] Ohio Market Regulations - Wow!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Adriana" <gutierrez-lagatta AT charter.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Ohio Market Regulations - Wow!
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:15:31 -0500

Yikes ! Is the regulatory issue here the fact that the produce is
"pre-packaged" therefore considered processed? Or are they being sold by
weight? Next thing you know they'll want nutritional info and bar codes. I
think this is the sort of issue where producers need to request an urgent
meeting with the Department of Agriculture and the local Agriculture
Federation or Farm Bureau,etc and raise hell. (Is it Ohio that dos not
allow you to seal salad greens in a bag?)

> Here in Southern Ohio we are having the State inspector follow the local
health department checking on market practices. The information is changing
week to week. Many vendors are annoyed (including me). It seems that now if
any whole product (i.e. green beans) that is placed into a bag at the farm
and brought to the market, it must have a cottage industry "home produced
at, ingredients, and name and phone number".

Adriana