market-farming - [Market-farming] Ohio Market Regulations - Wow!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "" <herbthyme AT simcon.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Ohio Market Regulations - Wow!
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:29:36 -0400

> Here in Southern Ohio we are having the State inspector follow the local
health department checking on market practices. The information is changing
week to week. Many vendors are annoyed (including me). It seems that now if
any whole product (i.e. green beans) that is placed into a bag at the farm
and brought to the market, it must have a cottage industry "home produced
at, ingredients, and name and phone number".

Adriana

At the market I am at in Northeast Ohio, we just had our first visit from the
Helath Dept last weekend. I have produce, elderberry jam, dog bicuits and
cornbread along with some other things. But the produce I bag up once the
customer has purchased it. I bring it to market in quarts and sell them by
the quart as I do not have a certified scale to use there. They are going
like hot cakes! But he did catch me on the cornbread. I have the labels all
right with the Company name, address, and This product is home produced all
in the right font, but I did not have a weight on it. Then he came back to
me after looking around, and said that he was not sure you had to have a
"weight" on the package, just an amount, like 6 muffins. Then he came back a
3rd time and said that he was not sure and that he would have to give me a
call! Well, he did and he told me that with the Cottage Industry Law, they
require you to have the weight on the label, so I asked about a scale. They
recommend that you have a certified scale, but are they going to come and
check it, and he said no!!! And those were his own words! So I am just
going to keep using the scale I have, which is almost right on the money and
see what happens!! It is a great law, but now they have to "teak" it to work
better and suit more people. He also agreed with me on that! I do not agree
with some of it but I don't want them to take it away either! He did warn me
that the Dept of Ag will be there along with someone from the state but of
course did not say when!!!

Courtney
Herb Thyme
Middlefield, Oh