market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Eggplant

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Margaret L Wilson" <booldawgs AT cavenet.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Eggplant
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:43:20 -0700

This is my 3rd summer gardening here in the very SW corner of Oregon. The
weather is very dry and hot this year for this area. I actually have ripe
eggplants, tomatoes and peppers without working at it. Usually the nights
are very cool even when the days are hot. The plants grow huge but the fruit
doesn't ripen. This spring my plants got a good start in a makeshift hoop
house. It was very warm until the plastic began to tear off in the wind.
Everything has been growing like crazy and actually ripening without night
covers till now. The temperatures are getting back to normal with cool
nights and the ripening has stopped in it's tracks. It is actually cloudy
and rainy yesterday and today. Now my cool weather seedling are growing like
crazy. I covered the warm weather crops with frost blankets last night.
Good thing because it also hailed.

I have decided that I need to grow in hoop houses that can be uncovered
during the day and covered in the early evening to retain the warmth if I am
going to have eggplant, tomatoes and peppers. This is way too much work to
do manually so I am looking at systems with rollup sides, possibly on a timer
or thermostat. It is discouraging and I don't know if it is possible or
affordable.
There was an article in the LA Times last week talking about how climate
change is going to have a major economic effect on California and it's
agriculture. Hotter and drier there means hotter and drier here. I am
trying to plan my farm restoration accordingly and feeling rather
overwhelmed. Planting more trees, restoring the original wetlands, and
improving the tilth seems the best I can do for the future.
Margaret