market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Shade cloth for lettuce

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Shade cloth for lettuce
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 06:58:40 -0500

Allan - the drip hose is fed through tubes on our mulch layer - these can be
adjusted but it seems mostly like it depends on how "fluffy" the soil is
when we lay mulch, consequently it does get under the soil often. I mostly
prefer that it stay on top of the soil under the plastic so that I can
actually locate it when we're transplanting. I hate that sinking feeling of
cutting into the drip when cutting holes for transplants - but it happens.
We use 8 mil because we toss it at the end of the season. Has anyone ever
figured out a decent way to roll up drip after use and store it? It never
seems to work for us - plus many of our beds aren't the same lengths because
we have some odd shaped areas - so each piece would have to be tagged with
the length. Its easier to throw it away - especially if we're laying with
mechanically the next year.

Joan
Windwalker Farm
Ottawa, Kansas