market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Shade cloth for lettuce

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Shade cloth for lettuce
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 11:27:02 -0400

I'm looking at attaching 48 inch wide shade cloth centered at 2o'clock on 8ft long pvc bows on Edey-style 50ft long raised beds. It seems to me that getting in to cut and (god help us) weed can become rather irritating with the shade installed. Anyone have a work around on this?

Also, I'm interested in installing overhead misting with poly hose fastened to the hoops. Anyone doing this? What I'm looking for is an emmiter that will mist heavily in an area about 4ft in diameter. Any suffestions?

ALSO! (and away he goes!!) I'm interested in sub-soil watering of the established lettuce (actually, lettuce mix) Does anyone have experience with buried t-tape? I hear it will work, but it just seems so unlikely that it really would!! Please share your experience.

Thanks -Allan