market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farmers' Market Design

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farmers' Market Design
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 07:51:18 -0400

Hey Mark,

One of the best things you and your board could do is to take trips to
actual farmer's markets WHILE they're open for business. Take pictures,
talk to vendors, customers, make notes about what does and doesn't work.
Take pictures of everything, get a panoramic view of the market (even if you
have to take multiple pics and piece them together later). The camera will
pick up on things you won't notice until your looking at the pics later.
I've got hundreds of shots, some simply of signs directing customers to
alternative parking....pics that have helped more than one market manager
improve their customer service.

Pulling up vehicles is very handy for farmers but not every location has
that privilege of space. Many farmers use those vehicles as sign holders,
extra storage, a place to quickie-rest (though I never had the pleasure of
that!). I've been to open air markets where the canopy was nothing more
than a roof, no sides, no weather protection. I've been to more markets
though that were roofs with large garage doors down both sides and each
space equaled the width of that door. These spaces were heated in cold
weather and the doors provided easy off/onloading. Also, the market served
other purposes such as community concerts, auctions, etc. In nice weather
the doors could stay open allowing customers to get a full view of the busy
market.

If I get the time, I'll throw up some pics on my website.

I met a guy today who has a mobile meat processing unit from just across the
border in VA. I'm interviewing him next week. He didn't know why that girl
in the red truck was chasing him down so fast!!

Liz Pike
Laughingbrook Farm
Westfield NC
http://www.marketfarming.com new content added daily!!