market-farming - [Market-farming] GMOs, Globalization & Couchgrass

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "maureen bostock" <maureenbostock AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] GMOs, Globalization & Couchgrass
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 06:53:56 -0700

Hi All,
It is great to hear all the responses to the discussion of the "new industrial revolution". In Canada we are at the beginning of a federal election and one of the biggest problems is that people are not voting (40% in the last election). If we all do nothing more than vote for the party which promotes rational solutions to the destruction caused by globalization we will gain tremendously. Vote in every election. Run for office. Why are we not the ones with the decision-making in our hands?

It was sad to hear about the Supreme Court of Canada's decision in favour of Monsanto. The good news is that Percy Schmeiser was not required to pay court costs which would have cost them their farm. Even though the case didn't succeed in the end, it did raise the issues world-wide as Mr. Schmeiser spoke out wherever he could on the issue. In other news, Monsanto has abandoned genetically-modified wheat as a nonstarter because of the opposition even from the Canadian Wheat Board who expressed concerns that the product would be unsalable on the world market, and contamination of all wheat was inevitable. Win some, lose some. Apparently Europe has softened on the GM issue - and a variety of GM sweet corn is being grown there this year.

Meanwhile, we are having a very wet spring here and I have had lots of trouble getting cultivation happening in a timely manner and a lot of planting is yet to be done. I am watching my vegetable field green up - with couchgrass! It reproduces very quickly with lots of underground rootlets. What have people done to discourage this weed? If you have had success with organic methods, please share your thoughts.

Thank you,
Maureen Bostock