market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] GMOs, Globalization & Couchgrass

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] GMOs, Globalization & Couchgrass
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 11:10:41 -0400

On Wed, 26 May 2004 06:53:56 -0700, you wrote:

>Meanwhile, we are having a very wet spring here and I have had lots of
>trouble getting cultivation happening in a timely manner and a lot of
>planting is yet to be done. I am watching my vegetable field green up -
>with couchgrass! It reproduces very quickly with lots of underground
>rootlets. What have people done to discourage this weed? If you have had
>success with organic methods, please share your thoughts.

We're having a very wet spring also, and I'm having the same
problems.

Couch grass (assuming it's the same thing as 'witch grass'
or 'quack grass') - last year I had some success spraying
regular household white vinegar, 5%, (undiluted) on it - it
took several sprayings.

This year, because it's been raining so constantly, it's got
way ahead of me. I'm going to cover the planters with the
couch grass with black plastic mulch and I hope that will
kill it.

Pat