market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Price of Gasoline

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roger Weeks <rjweeks70 AT comcast.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Price of Gasoline
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 12:23:55 -0700

The other question is, will folks like us be able to stay in business? At the peak of the season we sell at 5 farmer's markets. Most of them are within 15 miles of our place but one is over 45 miles. I can tell you the gas costs for that market are definitely being felt especially here where the cheapest gas is at $2.19.

Not only does gas cost more, the sugar we use to make our preserves has gone up. Planting mix we use to make our potting soil has gone up.

What can I do? I have to pass some of this cost on to my customers. My preserves are more expensive now. I'm selling strawberries for 50 cents more than I did last year, and cut flowers for $1 more.

Now since my customers also have less money in their pockets - because I don't care what anyone else says, the economy is still in horrible shape, even without the rising cost of gas - are they going to buy less from me as well?

Seems like a nasty vicious cycle.

Roger