market-farming - [Market-farming] greenhouse cucumber production

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Kathy Somers" <somersfarm AT kingcon.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] greenhouse cucumber production
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 15:09:05 -0400

Hi,
I am currently growing "Jazzer" cucumbers in my heated greenhouses.  They are suppose to be able to set fruit with out any pollination.  I have grown these in the past with out any problems.  Skipped a few years and tried to grow them this year.  I have beautiful plants, nearing 12 ft. tall.  Lots and lots of small 11/2 inch cucumbers but none of them are developing past this stage.  Many are aborting.  The other thing which totally baffles me is I am seeing tons of male flowers.  Never saw this before.  My first batch of Jazzers I purchased seed from Johnny's, when they discontinued selling this variety of seed, I purchased from Fedco.

So I guess there are two things going on.  I am wondering If I should have been more faithful at pruning my plants to just one stem and only letting one cuke grow on each node.  Also, the male flower thing?  Wonder if I really have Jazzer seed?  I haven't called Fedco, because it was not this year's seed.  I do know that Johnny's replaced Jazzer with Genuine, which they say is not compatible with greenhouse production.
Hopefully someone has more knowledge than me and can point me in the right direction to get some of these cukes to develop into a harvestable fruit.

Thanks much,
Kathy
Somers Family Farm
Vermont, Zone 4

  • [Market-farming] greenhouse cucumber production, Kathy Somers, 05/24/2004