market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: Animal power

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: Animal power
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 07:27:03 -0400

> Of course I
> should add that the folks farming with animal power live in a parallel
> universe where the laws of economics as we know them don't apply.

Actually, the more I explore this option, the more I'm discovering that
those laws of economics are in my favor with draft power more so than
mechanical horse power.

Since the departure of my partner from this farm, it's been all I could do
just to simply manage all the bush hogging, mowing and animal care alone. So
once again, my planting plans have fallen through. But it's ok. Really it
is. I now know why certain things were not in the works these past few
years as governed by the Universe or that Higher Power some talk of.

NOW, I have the freedom without dictation to do what needs to be done, and
one of those is to sell my tractor & equipment. I simply do not have the
brute strength it requires to make some of the repairs needed, and repairs
are often needed--too often for the amount of hours of work, especially when
it's a gravity tightened bolt & nut. Even with an air wrench I still have
trouble. I don't have the option of using mechanics because there are none
in this area and my farming buddies are all too busy on their own farms.

I know horses. I've got a little experience with working the ground with
them & alot of experience otherwise. Alot more so than mechanical
experience. So instead of standing there stupid, if one throws a shoe or
develops colic, like I do with tractor problems, I can take care of this
stuff myself. I only have a grand total of 7 acres to work so I'm sure I'll
be able to manage. As for the other stuff like excess bushhogging, I'm
getting into some kind of livestock, probably goats, maybe hogs.

Horses make better since on these side hills too. They don't tip over
; )))))))

Liz Pike
Laughingbrook Farm
Westfield NC