market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] bok choy question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] bok choy question
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 14:48:34 -0500

Joan,
We keep such things in a cooler once the day gets hot. I have heard someone
talk about setting up coolers as displays, using a sheet of Plexiglas for
the top so the customer can see the produce. Remember that wind is a bad or
worse than the sun and heat and try to keep susceptible produce protected
from wind as well. We pack out in waxed produce cartons which we keep in
the shade, and replenish the table display from them. The produce keeps for
several hours in the cartons now - but in July, we'll need something better.
We're looking at those HUGE igloo coolers - they'll hold a LOT of lettuce!

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm