market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: row cover and Arugula

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Janet Bachmann <janetb AT ncat.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: row cover and Arugula
  • Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 13:22:15 -0500

Floating row cover over eggplant to keep flea beetles from devastaing it has worked fine for me, but I like the idea of combining that with mulch. Maybe that will continue to make a difference when I take the row cover off. Those beetles seem to hop in from everywhere, though.

tonitime AT juno.com wrote:

Hi!
It's my understanding that the flea beetles emerge from the ground and
jump upward to feed on our plants...........i do not think row cover is
an answer for that ( wasn't for me!). The times when my eggplants in the
ground did best was when the bed's soil was covered with black plastic
mulch.
My arugula fared better when i had a thick newsprint and hay mulch around
the plants.
Good Luck!
Toni in KY