market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] definition of sustainable farming

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] definition of sustainable farming
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 08:10:30 -0500

Sustainable also refers to the inputs that you put in the farm - are you
able to nourish what you are growing with ingredients that are renewable,
and that enhance the health and diversity of the earth, not diminish it? It
also refers to those who grow the food....are they able to make a living
from the work that they do, and receive the basics - food, shelter, health
care, etc.? And to me, the idea of a cycle is a part of it - are the
products and wastes that are produced in the growing processes able to be
absorbed by the earth in a way that further nourishes the earth? (manure,
packaging, etc)

Jill