market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] definition of sustainable farming

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: DreamThymeFarm <dreamthymefarm AT zoominternet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] definition of sustainable farming
  • Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 07:45:16 -0400

I wrote a definition for someone doing a research project for our church.
We were doing a service on sustainable agriculture and they read my definition to start the service.
Here it is:

This is how I feel what the definition of sustainable agriculture.
It is agriculture that can continue from year to year, through natural
growth of seeds and animals.
That we raise the animals humanely, the way that they were meant to be
raised, in pasture, eating healthy foods, getting exercise, clean air and
water.
We save seeds from year to year, dry and preserve our foods and what you
don't raise or grow, you buy from other local farmers, thus, strengthening
community.
Not every farmer can do it all, so buying from or bartering with local
farmers keeps communities alive, so we don't all live where strip malls are
the core and only center of towns.
Through this support, pollution is minimal, education is increased, health
is better, and communities are 'saved' because they are stronger.
Which, centuries from now, we are preserving our existence by living
sustainably now.
It is doing what you know is the right way to live, it is in your heart to
take care of the gift we have been given, this beautiful earth. As we care
and nurture her, and keep the beauty growing and expanding, then we are
guaranteeing a place that our offspring may also live and worship.
Lynne, Dream Thyme Farm