market-farming - [Market-farming] definition of sustainable farming

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Chicken Scratch Orchard and Gardens" <chickenscratch AT citlink.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] definition of sustainable farming
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 01:11:48 -0500

Hello! I thought this list would be a great place to get some great answers to this question: What do you think is the definition of sustainable farming/agriculture?

I have been struggling with how to describe our "style" of farming for places like the local SFA chapter, localharvest.org, etc. I believe our methods would be considered "sustainable" but I have been unable to find a clear idea of what is considered sustainable ag. We have a diversified farm--pastured pork, beef, and poultry; free range layers; organically grown orchard (well, just starting... trees are all new) and gardens.

TIA for your input!

April
Chicken Scratch Orchard and Gardens