market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Any Info Would Be Useful

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Matt Cheselka <cheselka AT freestateproject.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Any Info Would Be Useful
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 20:00:04 -0500 (CDT)

Thanks, Wendy, for the info. I'm in southeast Arizona. USDA Zone 7 or 8.
The coldest it gets here is in the single digits above zero, and only for
a couple of weeks in January.

Ok, I understand that an annual is an annual and that it's gonna grow, set
fruit, and die. I'm interested in the timeline for this. For example, a
few years ago I had a couple of cherry tomato plants that kept producing
fruit from July - December, at which time the cold finally did them in (I
failed to cover them). Six months of production seems like a long time
for a tomato, but maybe not. I guess what I'm looking for is how long an
"annual" will live given conditions that it likes (produced either
naturally or artificially).

I've got another question for everyone. I'm trying "Edimame" soybeans
this year and I had an interesting thing happen recently. They all
sprouted really well, but the first leaves were quite yellow (slightly
green veins, but even they were yellow for the most part). Anyhow, in my
head I thought "Nitrogen!", so I sprinkled a whole bunch of alfalfa meal
over them. This all took place about 4 weeks ago. Now they're all nice
and green and growing like crazy. Did the alfalfa work, or do these
soybeans turn from yellow to green on their own? I was told later that
yellow leaves might also be to a lack or iron. But the fact that they're
all nice and green now has me wondering....

Thanks,

Matt