market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] asparagus

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marie Kamphefner" <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] asparagus
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 18:51:27 -0500

Last fall, after we mowed the asparagus bed (planted spring 03), we
unrolled big bales of hay all over it. This spring, the spears are
popping through and that’s all, except in a thin spot of hay. It looks
like the deep mulch is working on the asparagus. We too, tilled
shallowly over the old asparagus bed – it’s maybe 25 years old – this
spring. I thought we had ruined it because it took so long for the
spears to appear. They finally came up after a big rain, better than
ever. We’re gonna “hay” it too. We got the idea from someone on this
list.

Marie in Missouri

I too would like some input on Asparagus. I ran a tiller (set at the
highest setting) lightly over my beds (planted flat) about a month ago.
The asparagus just started popping after this last round of snow. The
biggest concern that I have is the the rhizomonous grasses seem to be
creeping into the beds. Should I wait until the asparagus is done
harvesting to do anything about this. What about thick mulch. That is
how I deal with the grasses in the rest of the beds. It seems to die off
under the thick layer of mulch. Will the spears still pop up through a
thick layer of straw mulch? A funny side is that the new crowns that
were only planted a few weeks ago are actually sending up full size
spears....what do I do about that or do I do nothing (eat them perhaps
or leave them alone). Thanks for the advice in advance!

Shelly Elliott
Idle Thyme Farm
www.IdleThymeFarms.com

A place where time stands still, where back to nature is simply a way of
life!