market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Native fruits and nuts

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Native fruits and nuts
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 06:16:46 -0500

On Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 10:20:55AM -0500, RLP2000 wrote:
> Our family recently purchased 80 acres in Navarro county (1 hr south of
> Dallas, TX) and we are about to try our hand at organic farming.
>
> We have discovered that the property is covered with native fruits and nuts
> such as grapes, plums, dewberries, mulberries, pecans and black walnuts.

The problem with the above wild crops is harvest cost. We have at
times sold mustang grapes, wild plums, and dewberries but not
profitably. Due to the lack of sugar, the market for mustang grapes
and wild plums is limited. If you have variants with higher sugar, you
may do well with them. Or if you have marketing talent. I haven't
actually seen wild mulberries produce a harvestable crop.

All those fruits and nuts have been and will be tremendously valuable
as breeding stock. You know of TV Munson? If not, you might google on
him. Thomas Varney Munson. The presence of all that native material
indicates good conditions for growing domesticated varieties. Pears,
blackberries, and persimmons have very few pest problems and will
likely reliably produce using organic methods.

I'm a bit south of Austin.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Are YOU an html abuser? http://www.expita.com/nomime.html