market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Native fruits and nuts

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "gary rowland" <hcf AT moment.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Native fruits and nuts
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 06:37:09 -0500

We make Mustage grape, and wild plum jelly. We sometimes sell the plums
fresh at the farmers market, when there's a large crop. They're hard to
pick and and you'll need a commercial kitchen to process in. The market is
there but there's lots of "homemade" jelly out there. We had a rave review
in Gourmet Magazine this month for the Mustang grape jelly.
The pecans and walnuts depend on quality. If the trees are large it can be
diffficult to harvest. The insect pests of the pecans can ruin the crop.
You could go to the 1st Monday at Canton and see jelly there.
Gary Rowland
Hairston Creek Farm