market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] celery alternative

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] celery alternative
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:46:39 -0400

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 07:56:08 -0500, you wrote:

>Celery can be a challenge to grow in much of our country. However there is
>an alternative that is EASY! Even here in hot, humid Kentucky. The "herb"
>called cutting celery. We sell it in our 3.5" pots for folks to plant, as
>well as in the field for cutting fresh. It tastes just like celery, can be
>cut a stem at a time, the stems are small - just right for dicing into
>salads, etc. It will even over winter in our cool greenhouse, although the
>high tunnels were a little too cold for winter production. Our customers
>love it, and so do we, to use exactly as we would celery.

I looked for this when I bought seeds this year, but I'm not
sure that I bought the right thing. This is what I bought
(from Baker Creek):

Zwolsche Krul New!
A leaf celery that looks like curly parsley. Very
ornamental; much stronger flavor than regular celery; used
as a culinary and ornamental herb. This is an old Dutch
heirloom that can grow to 3'. Very hardy.

Is this what you mean? Thanks.

Pat