market-farming - [Market-farming] Plant pricing help?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: tonitime AT juno.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Plant pricing help?
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 11:44:49 -0400

Hi All!
This year, in an effort to see if i could start enough seedlings
without a greenhouse for future market gardening, i have had my socks
knocked off by the response of people wanting to buy my plants!
Definitely there is a need around here for things not commonly found at
the feed stores or nearby hardware shops. I have many folk wanting to
order plants ready in another month, and tho i am going to sell cheaply
this time around - would like to hear of more realistic fees to charge
for the pots. I sent an email out to my local gardening pals - which
were spread by them far and wide from here.......i was intending to make
good deals for my pals and cover materials and little of my
time......after all, it was an experiment!
Here's what we have to sell:
-MANY 3" & 4" potted Tomatoes, specialty and heirloom varieties - grown
for delicious character rather than transportability of fruits
- same size of Hot and Sweet Pepper Plants
-2" & 3" pots of herbs: Lavender, Purple and large-leaved Basils, Common
Thyme, Chervil, Cilantro, Dills, Catnip, Lime Thyme, Bergamot(Monarda),
Garlic Chives, Regular Chives, Chamomile
-4" ornamental grasses
-4 & 6 packs of annual flowers, unusual varieties
-4" Ichiban Eggplants

What about the Tomatoes potted up further for greater size in starting?
For my own gardens, i pot them into tall, cut off liter pop bottles. What
if some folk would want these? I really do not know what to charge and
live in toooo remote an area to go around looking to see what the
nurseries are charging for such. My Tomatoes are really wonderful
varieties that cannot be found around here.
Thanks for your wisdom on this,
Toni
Clifty Gardens
Red River Gorge(ous), KY