market-farming - [Market-farming] Was:Organic Flowers now Comfrey

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Juliet Henry <justjuj AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Was:Organic Flowers now Comfrey
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 07:23:06 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
Comfrey is really tough to get rid of since it will grow from just a fragment of a root that is left behind.  It is an invaluable plant both medicinally and in the garden.  It is used in many creams for skin complaints, including some for diaper rash and barrier creams for tired and sore gardeners' hands.

Aside from liquid manure, it can be used as a foliar feed and I recommend adding the leaves to your compost pile.  It acts as an activator that accelerates the breakdown of compost.

It's a great plant that the hummingbirds and insects enjoy and I've read that if fed to poultry, it will help to increase egg production - not having chickens, I do not know whether this is true or how much one can feed them.

Regards,
Juliet

Do you Yahoo!?