market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Was:Organic Flowers now Comfrey

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "David Inglis" <mhcsa AT bcn.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Was:Organic Flowers now Comfrey
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 08:48:17 -0400

Pigs will get the last of it.

David A. Inglis
Mahaiwe Harvest C.S.A.

-----Original Message-----
From:
market-farming-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org [mailto:market-farming-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of OakCamp2 AT aol.com
Sent:
Sunday, April 11, 2004 8:31 PM
To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Ha, Ha Carol,

Did you know that among herbalists that is the biggest joke- getting rid of comfrey is like getting rid of dandelions- the tap root is soooo long that you could dig to China and not get all of it.  Since you have so much of it have you considered picking it for sale??  It is used medicinally(wonderful for clearing acne when stir fried and eaten, also is a bone mender)  and for culinary purposes(sold as gobo in Oriental markets) and highly prized.  Organic comfrey would sell like hot cakes.  The root is harvested and sold fresh and dried.  You will >always< have a crop of it :-),  Also comfrey is used in organic fields to help pull minerals up through the soil and break up hardpan.  It is truly a wonderful plant- I bet you didn't know what a gold mine you had there!

Barb Birkinbine

Oak Campe Herb Farm, LLC

Lodi, WI