market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Raising organic flowers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: rjweeks70 AT comcast.net
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Raising organic flowers
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 15:01:41 +0000

Bill -

For those of us who are certified organic, no matter what we grow, we need to
at least put some due diligence into finding organic seeds. The USDA
National Organic Plan allows organic growers to use non-organic seeds if a
"reasonable effort" is made to locate organic seed first.

Unfortunately most seeds for quality cut flowers are not organic. Many of
them are pelletized, but according to my CCOF inspector pelletizing is okay
as long as it's clay. Many pellet formulas have fungicide or insecticide in
them to control disease/insects right after germination.

In my part of the country, organic flowers sell really well. Sonoma County
has a lot of what most other people would view as liberal old hippies, and
they are very into organic - not just vegetables, but meat, eggs and flowers
too. So my certified organic cut flowers sell really well at the local
farmer's markets. There's also a florist business in the town of Sebastopol
that only buys organic flowers for resale.

Roger Weeks
Weeks Gardens
http://www.weeksgardens.com