market-farming - [Market-farming] re:organic flowers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: IdleThymeFarm AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] re:organic flowers
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 14:57:27 EDT

>>When a customer sticks their nose into a bouquet of organic flowers and breathes deeply they get a snoot full of western flower thrips. Or worse yet they get them home, place them on the dinner table and little black beetles crawl out. Its a challenge to grow a quality cut flower without some pesticide. Its even a greater challenge to grow them organically especially in our  humid east coast environment.   I find it offensive when prople say we "dump" pesticides on everything... Bob.

I feel that you both have a point. While I am a certified organic grower (and do raise certified organic flowers), I see Bob's point of view. I have many friends who farm conventionally and they do not practice the "dumping of pesticides". I find that the folks that I know who farm conventionally are incredibly careful with chemical use. Organic practices are right for my operation. My flowers are grown organically because all of my land is certified, it is just the way I do things. Also, my customers by from me for that reason alone. There are customers out there for all of us and each of us will have our own unique practices. <stepping off my soapbox> Happy growing!

Shelly Elliott
Idle Thyme Farm

www.IdleThymeFarms.com

A place where time stands still, where back to nature is simply a way of life!