market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Raising organic flowers- SWALLOWTAIL GARDEN SEEDS

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <wiediger AT msn.com>
  • To: <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Raising organic flowers- SWALLOWTAIL GARDEN SEEDS
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 13:49:51 -0500

You know, we have been growing cut flowers using organic methods for over 10 years here in the humid clime of southern Kentucky.  We have literally no insect pressure on our cuts. We do have mildew on Zinnias - and re-plant them about every 6 weeks to combat it.  The flower quality is nicer on the new plantings anyway.  Our cut flowers are gorgeous - as nice or nicer than anything else that comes to market, and with no spraying of anything, synthetic or OMRI approved. Perhaps the insect problems you see are because of your spraying of chemicals, and the damage it does to the beneficials that would normally keep them in balance.  Some things are a challenge to grow organically - eggplant comes to mind - but flowers?  no way.  So if you're a new cut flower grower, and want to grow them organically, go for it - and get the book "The Flower Farmer" - which uses organic methods.

Alison

Paul and Alison Wiediger
Au Naturel Farm
http://aunaturelfarm.homestead.com