market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Raising organic flowers- SWALLOWTAIL GARDEN SEEDS

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Cyndi Norman <cyndi AT tikvah.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: , cyndi AT tikvah.com
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Raising organic flowers- SWALLOWTAIL GARDEN SEEDS
  • Date: 10 Apr 2004 16:16:29 -0000

Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 22:07:45 -0500
From: Eastex Farms <eastexfarms AT direcway.com>

Just wondering why one would want organic flowers? Is there an advantage?
TexasBill

Of course there is.

What is the first thing people do when presented with a flower? They stick
their nose right in it and breathe in deeply. Any pesticides or other
chemical residues come right into your lungs.

The problem with non-organic flowers isn't just what is used for growing
but how the flowers are treated afterwards. After being cut they are
sprayed with all sorts of crud. Organic flowers do not get toxic sprays.

I can't be in the same room with a bouquet of flowers from a commercial
florist.

Even if there is no difference in the end product there are still
advantages. I like knowing I'm supporting organic agriculture. No
chemicals dumped in the water, soil, air. Farmworkers (whether family or
hired) are not being exposed to chemicals for my sake. It's just better
all around.

Cyndi

Petaluma, California Zone 9 USDA; Zone 15 Sunset Western Garden
Guide
Chemically sensitive/disabled - Organic Gardening only by choice and
neccessity
Cyndi
Norman
Handcrafted organic soaps & cosmetics