market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Raising organic flowers- SWALLOWTAIL GARDEN SEEDS

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: cyndi AT tikvah.com, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Raising organic flowers- SWALLOWTAIL GARDEN SEEDS
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 10:09:54 -0400

When a customer sticks their nose into a bouquet of organic flowers and breathes deeply they get a snoot full of western flower thrips. Or worse yet they get them home, place them on the dinner table and little black beetles crawl out. Its a challenge to grow a quality cut flower without some pesticide. Its even a greater challenge to grow them organically especially in our  humid east coast environment.   I find it offensive when prople say we "dump" pesticides on everything... Bob.

What is the first thing people do when presented with a flower?  They stick
their nose right in it and breathe in deeply.  Any pesticides or other
chemical residues come right into your lungs.