market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Diesel/gas on the farm

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Diesel/gas on the farm
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 18:25:59 -0600

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 06:12:53PM -0600, Willie McKemie wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 05:34:26PM -0500, ecook516 AT earthlink.net wrote:
> > What do people do about having diesel/ gas on farm to fill up tractors?
> > I have always had a tank, but I am at a new small farm that has always
> > filled with % gallon tanks from the gas station. This seems awful to me,
> > but my investigations into getting a tank yielded an expense of over
> > $500. for a 290 gallon tank (smallest size). Are there smaller sizes out
> > there?
>
> I have a 250 or 300 gallon diesel tank. It is mostly a matter of

I forgot to add that used tanks around here are priced about
$.50/gallon. Tanks on legs are nice in that leaks are more noticeable
and they can be gravity fed to your vehicle. The bottom of my tank is
5' or 6' off the ground. My tank had and has some rust inside; with a
cartridge filter on the outlet, it has caused me no trouble.

You can determine the level of fuel in the tank by holding the outlet
hose high, opening the valve, then lowering the outlet until fuel comes
out.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Are YOU an html abuser? http://www.expita.com/nomime.html