market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Diesel/gas on the farm

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Errol Castens" <castens AT peoplepc.com>
  • To: <ecook516 AT earthlink.net>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Diesel/gas on the farm
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 17:07:39 -0600

Some oil jobbers will sell you a 55-gallon drumful. (At least they used to.)
Even if they won't, you can buy 55 gallons at the station, and "they" make
hand pumps to fit the threaded openings on the drums.

If you do this, be sure and look for a station that has "off-road" diesel.
In some states (most?), farmers don't have to pay road taxes on diesel for
tractors and other field equipment. The difference is substantial.

The flip side is, don't ever make a mistake and use off-road diesel in truck
or car. The dye they put in the fuel makes it detectable for a long time,
and there are large fines for using low-tax fuel in a highway vehicle. (It
smacks of tax fraud, dontcha know.)

Errol Castens
Providence Farm
Oxford, Mississippi