market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: Selling at 5 markets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: Selling at 5 markets
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 08:47:03 -0500

I don't want to have to hire anyone either, but I have a community of
teenagers who could sure use the opportunity for local jobs, my daughter
being one. We live far enough out that to have a job one must also have
transportation. Too often teens have to literally go over the mountain for
work and in questionable weather or with a questionable vehicle, it's a
dangerous option. I'm surrounded by farms that employ teenage family
members, so working on a farm, for those teens who don't live on a farm,
isn't looked down upon. In fact, especially with us having horses, I keep
getting requests for work. Despite popular media, teens here aren't afraid
of work or dirt. I will have to work on discouraging headphones
though...how can they hear the birds?? ; ))

> I wish we had the space for a farm stand, as I think it would be a great
thing especially on the weekends here in touristy Sonoma County. I've
thought about a portable stand but haven't really found a good location for
it yet.

I have pics of a portable farmstand I took last year. When my commercial
host gets their server back up today (arrggghhhh) I'll publish the pics and
post the link.

Liz Pike
Laughingbrook Farm
Westfield NC