market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] More on Jumping Into Farming

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] More on Jumping Into Farming
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 14:02:01 -0600

There are people doing that well, but not a lot of them. It depends upon a
lot of factors. You need a market that will pay top dollar for quality, you
have to grow that quality, you'll have to reach that market (and it'll
probably be mostly direct and retail rather than wholesale), and you'll most
likely need some workers just to harvest that much. Workers can be difficult
to find. It'll take top-notch management skills to get that much planted
and keep it going all season. Is it possible - probably. Easy? Decidedly
not. Better is to keep your day job, start relatively small, grow as your
skill set grows.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm