market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Information freely given

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Windsoap AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Information freely given
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 09:30:51 EST

In a message dated 3/10/2004 6:01:28 AM Pacific Standard Time, wshoemak AT inil.com writes:

Just one question since the list seems to be talking about peppers. What is the best way to encourage germination of the seed?
Thanks, Pat Southern Ohio

I bought some of those little Jiffy "greenhouses" that include a 1020 size platform, a little heat mat and a clear cover.  Walmart, about $25. and about 4 years old now.  I plant peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, etc. in 20row germination flats, trying for about 20-25 seeds per row.  I put a little extra water in the solid bottom flat for high humidity.  Tomatoes are up in 5 days, peppers in 7-9 days.   Since they don't need light to germinate, I just put the flats on the counter and move them to our sunroom/greenhouse when most are up.  Works for us.

"Risk" planting of early tomatoes goes out next week.  If we get a freeze, too bad, I've another flat two weeks behind.   We'll wait until Easter to put out the main plantings.
Wendy Akin
Akin Farm
Texas