market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] incubator for seed germination?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] incubator for seed germination?
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 14:22:15 -0500

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:42:05 -0500, you wrote:

>> As a result, I have a GQF incubator that I want to use for germinating
>> tomato seeds.
>
>This is news to me. Can anyone provide more information about using an
>incubator for germination? Would it be good for flower seed germination? We
>have been using Agri-tape for bottom heat. Would an incubator provide
>advantages over the tape.

Another possibility for germination is a 'small electric
greenhouse' - I have two. (I bought mine at Burpee. You
can see them by going to http://www.burpee.com and putting
91926 in the search box.)

These have 14" x 17" floorspace and each will hold eight
6-cell packs (stacked in two layers). They are a little
flimsy, but can easily be reinforced with duct tape at the
seams and then are sturdy enough to last a long time.

I've been very happy with them. I've started a variety of
vegetable seeds in them and everything seems to germinate
very, very quickly. I haven't started flower seeds but will
be soon.

These don't keep a high enough temperature for tempeh or
yogurt though - I put a thermometer in one to check on this.

Pat
--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States: http://www.stopthehunger.com/