market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] incubator for seed germination?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Paul A. Bock" <bockpa AT plesh.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] incubator for seed germination?
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:27:52 -0500

It is interesting that this stuff showed up on the list. While I was
setting up some designs for this project I read a little blip near the back
of "Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book", that said someone should come up with an
inexpensive incubator/proof chamber for this type of stuff an she mentioned
using it for yogurt and tempeh.

Price wise I am looking at roughly what a microwave costs. I am not using
microwaves, but the microcontroller technology is roughly the same as that
in a microwave.

The only reason for the humidity is for the bread proofing to keep it from
drying out. The mushroom cultures are sealed so they don't need humidity.
I have heard though that you can grow better mushrooms with extra flushes
(mushrooms can be manipulated easily to bloom repeatedly) if you grow them
in a humidity chamber. This all started with the bread though. The "Let
rise in a warm place" doesn't exist in my house. Comfortable for us is
65-70 and they want 75-85F for the bread. It is 0 to -10F outside with a
windchill down to -20 to -35F.

Paul Bock
Stone Gully