market-farming - [Market-farming] Plant Starting Info

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Alex Mcgregor" <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Plant Starting Info
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 12:00:35 -0500

Greetings all,

I got an email from a friend trying to raise funds for a high school
project to buy a greenhouse. She asks about cell and tray prices and I
have no idea since I reuse discarded ones and make my own starting mix with
soil and compost. Can you help us out?

Also, she's in North Carolina- south of Boone and northeast of Asheville.
Are any of you close enough to recommend local sources or offer some help?
I sent her an extended treatise on soil mix and plant care and referred her
to NC Extension for info and local sources, but my info is biased by my own
methods.

Here's her message:

While I have you,
let me ask you a business question. I am trying to organize a plant sale
here to raise money to buy a greenhouse. I want to start a bunch of stuff
from seed, so I am pricing propagation trays and plant cell packs. I found
a place that has trays for $.84 each and sheets of 48 cells for $.59 each.
Are these good prices? Also, I found various recipes for seeding mix. Do
you have a favorite? Thanks.

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm