market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] dry beans vs. canned beans.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] dry beans vs. canned beans.
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 08:16:04 -0500

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 20:24:49 EST, you wrote:

>In a message dated 12/10/03 11:42:55 AM Pacific Standard Time,
>pat AT meadows.pair.com writes:
>

>> using a pressure cooker
>
>DO NOT COOK BEANS IN A PRESSURE COOKER! They can clog up the little
>doohickey so the pressure doesn't release. You think the pressure has
>released and
>open the pot and get hit smack in the face with it! If it only happens
>once...

This is not correct when referring to the
'second-generation' pressure cookers. Their instruction
manuals specify that it's OK to cook beans in them. I have
two of them: a Magefesa and a Fagor - and both instruction
specifically state that cooking beans in them is safe.

They each have THREE separate pressure releases, and one is
very large - it's metal cut-outs along the side of the
gaskets. These cookers are made very differently than the
old jiggle-top cookers. I am referring to such pressure
cookers as Magefesa, Fagor, Kuhn-Rikon and similar.
(Nevertheless, people did and do cook beans safely in the
old jiggle-top style pressure cookers.)

Here's a picture of the Magefesa:

http://www.magefesausa.com

A degree of caution is required when using pressure cookers,
just as it is when using *any* pot on a hot stove. Stoves,
after all, can burn people or set fire to kitchens, and a
sensible degree of attention is necessary. Similarly, a
sensible degree of attention is necessary with pressure
cookers.

Opening the cooker before the pressure had been released
would be very unwise, of course. Opening the
pressure-release valve (the Magefesa has a specific
pressure-release mechanism) and pointing it at one's face
would also be unwise.

Pat