market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: tillers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: tillers
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 09:56:53 -0500

Just buy any tiller you can afford. I have a barn full of equipment that
has not lived up to my expectations. I take the stuff to our local farm
equipment consignment sale and unload whatever doesn't work out.
Any small tiller will work on the garden plots most people on this site
"farm". The most important feature to look for is how well the tool makes
use of you TIME!.
The most important lesson I have had to learn over the years was in making
the best use of my time. Walk behind tillers are slow but very effective
cultivators, but is the crop worth the time spent. I find it better to use
cultivating tractors instead of tillers, some of my neighbors are using
three point pto Multivators. A two row unit can cost $5000+ but will
cultivate 10 acres of romaine lettuce in a day.
I also found small chippers useless on the farm, they all are built for
the guy living on a 1/4 acre suburban lot with a few twigs to dispose of
off their Bradford pear tree. I think they are more of a sales gimmic than
anything else. You might recall the downfall of the Troybilt company just
after they went that route. Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.