market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: tillers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: tillers
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 21:31:12 -0500

Thank you for sharing your experience.We are seriously looking at the
BCS.The new 12hp model is very inviting but the price tag is somewhat of a
deterrent.It is a very hi quality machine and the multiple attachments are
very much what we need.At the moment we are working 1/2 an acre and new to
market gardening and not sure of the size to invest in.
Neil

Neil - When I was in the process of buying a new tiller, I, too, was enamored by the hi-end BCS line. I, too, was stopped by the pricing, which is just too close to the price of a very good deal on an older used tractor. I checked around with some experienced market farmers. They were all using HARVESTER models, some of the were using 710s, others 720s. I bought the 720. I cannot imagine any reason why I need more power or even the steering brakes or the locking differential. I can imagine being handicapped by the extreme weight of the professional models, however.

None of the above refers in the least to any attachments other than tilling. I can well imagine that if you want a chipper/shredder, you will be thinking of the 12hp

Just my 2cents.

_Allan