market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] insurance

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Margaret <booldawgs AT cavenet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] insurance
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 10:52:16 -0700

I am living in Oregon, part time, but my legal residence is California. I followed the grass roots movement to get health insurance for all Oregonians for about 2 years. Granted it was a little too broad based but it was doable with some revisions. The big health insurance companies poured so much money into campaigning against it that is was soundly defeated at the ballet box. I talked to a lot of people that were convinced that it would bankrupt the state and businesses would fold if the bill passed. Had it passed we would become full time farmers in Oregon.
We have a business that can actually be based anywhere. My husband travels to where he is needed. At this point we are paying our income taxes to California. We are mid 50s and we only have major medical insurance with a very high deductible. You would not believe what it costs us. We fall through the cracks also. We are not poor enough, old enough, or wealthy enough. Doctor visits cost us less in California than in Oregon!!!! I get prescriptions out of Mexico.

I am following Dr. Howard Dean's campaign very closely.
Margaret