market-farming - [Market-farming] Asian Eggplant

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Asian Eggplant
  • Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 10:38:46 -0400

I tried the asian variety Pingtung Long its turned out to be my best
selling eggplant. Asian folks are not the only folks buying them. Once
you try them you will want more. They look good in the field, strong
30"x30" plants deep purple flowers. I don't know at what stage to pick
them. They can be harvested as mini's the size of your finger or allowed
to grow up to 9" long before seeds harden. They are very tender the
skins are very thin as bruise easily and are subject to sun scald.
Yields in NJ on plastic and drip average 6000 one half bushel boxes per
acre. I charge 50 cents each which seems a little high for a new product
but they are out selling the standard oval types two to one. They hold
without cooling for four days before going soft...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.