market-farming - [Market-farming] Premature "tasseling" of corn

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Margaret Hoeffel <bluemoonfarm2 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Premature "tasseling" of corn
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 07:37:17 -0700

My corn, which is anywhere from waist to chest high, is starting to
tassle. At first I thought this might be some response to a late frost
we had in May after setting out our transplants. We covered with remay
and the corn seemed to recover and thrive. Now all the corn is
tasseling. A neighboring farm had the same experience. Her corn is
knee high and starting to tassle. Her corn was also hit by frost.
Then, while talking with a backyard gardener at our Farmers Market, I
learned that her corn was tasseling as well and she put hers out after
the frost. We have had an odd spring, Two weeks where temps reached
the 90's, both of them in June. This is highly unusual for the Pacific
Northwest. Is our corn responding to the weather fluctuations? Is
there anything else that might be going on?

Any light shed on this situation would be helpful

Margaret Hoeffel
Blue Moon Farm
Vashon Island, WA