market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pam for corn earworms

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Art Petrzelka <art AT complum.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Windsoap AT aol.com
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pam for corn earworms
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 19:10:33 -0500

On Saturday 14 June 2003 20:11, Windsoap AT aol.com wrote:
> We are organic and have sprayed "pam" on our corn to prevent earworms.

"pam" as in the organic oil with bt or "pam" as in the spray product in the
grocery store?

The first would fit in an organic system, but I haven't seen the second in
the
OMRI list of approved materials.

I read that the window for spraying is fairly small. After the corn is
pollinated and before the worms arrive. The silk starts to dry after
pollination, so some brown would be the signal to start spraying, as the
pollen will not make it through the silk to the kernel to pollinate.

There are all sorts of reasons why corn might not pollinate. The oil just
adds
one more. Rain can interfere, and heat and humidity are important.
--
Art Petrzelka
Amana, Iowa