market-farming - [Market-farming] Rain, worms, etc

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Sharon Davenport" <sharon_d AT excite.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Rain, worms, etc
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 06:45:57 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Everyone......I recently joined the list, after finding it listed in Johnny's, and have so enjoyed reading the posts! With all the rain we've all been having, I'm beginning to think we should all turn our hands at water gardening!! My husband and I just moved to Maine last November, and are in the process of starting up brand new gardens.....the soil here is mostly clay......ugh!!!........so, very difficult to turn over, or even plant in. We have approx 2.48 acres, of which half is trees.......that means lots of leaves for turning into compost, but that will take a good couple years to get enough to use for all the gardens I plan on developing......for now, I'm just planting my flowers and veggies in the clay out of sheer desperation and hoping they don't DROWN! I see a lot mentioned about using red worms (?) for composting.......is there a di fference between those, and the worms I see in the soil? We seem to have plenty of those around, but was wondering if there is a difference? Sharon_D in midcoast Maine.

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com