market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Purslane

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Purslane
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 03:28:09 -0500

On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 02:19:46AM -0500, adriana wrote:
> When I lived in Sarasota Florida I grew purslane for one chef and charger
> somewhere in the $8-10/# range if I recall. It was a piece of cake to grow
> and, because it is a suicculent of sorts you could get to a pound easily.
> It adds crunch and a lemony flavor (and heft) to a salad mix too and is an
> incredible antioxidant and a vegetable source of Omega 3.
>
> > Has anyone sold it? How much per pound did you charge? It's going wild in
> my
> > cultivated garden and it tastes really good right now as opposed to later
> in
> > the season.

I was much amused and admiring a couple a years ago when I found one
of my farmers marketing friends was selling this weed at farmers
markets. Purslane is not the most noxious weed we have, but I know it
as a weed never the less. Someone tell me about harvesting native
purslane. Do you harvest and sell the entire plant sans roots?

Here in central Texas, we are finishing up a large blackberry harvest;
earlier, it appeared that a late March freeze had taken almost all the
blackberries. That freeze also set back our tomato harvest, which is
just beginning. Very dry weather and un-even irrigation is giving us a
lot of cracked fruit.

Over the past year or so, we've discussed deer control with fences and
dogs and maybe other things. I settled on a low electric fence offset
about 36" from existing barbed wire fence. I had something more than
7000' feet put in at a cost of something more than $1/ft. It seems to
be working well.

I envy you all your time to chat. Not much time to chat here this
time of year.

--
Willie, ashamed that dixie chicks are from Austin
Are YOU an html abuser? http://www.expita.com/nomime.html